Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy New Year

For the past three years, I've started out the New Years with a Cleanse.  I'm usually looking forward to it after too much eating and drinking during the holidays.

I use the same supplements, Total Body Cleanse by Renew Life that I get from Whole Foods.  It involves taking ten supplements a day, five in the morning and five in the evening for 14 days, that's 140 pills, and it's hard to swallow them sometimes.  During those 14 days, I also go caffeine and alcohol free as well as follow a vegan and gluten free diet.  The first year was hard, I really had to look for foodstuff to substitute my regular diet, it appeared there were no foodstuff to be had, but slowly I've discovered grains, nuts, fruits and vegetables that not only fill you up but satisfy you just as well as a steak, without the gut ache or leaving you comatose.    

Some people have asked why I do it, it's not that I'm trying to lose weight or that I have stomach ailments or anything health related, it's because I want to keep it way.  One friend said her doctor told her it was unnecessary, um hello… he sells diabetic, blood pressure, cholesterol meds, of course he doesn't want you doing that.

I like to think that by cleansing I set a benchmark of wellness, and it teaches me how to maintain or obtain it, especially since it's something I can control.  Happy New Year! 

Quick Stir-fry

Replace Soy sauce with Tamari (gluten free - tastes like soy sauce)  for the dressing (sauce)

I get this "bowl" of ready to use veg at Trader Joe's - I know it's not earth friendly, but one thing at a time. 

Squeeze out excess water from the tofu (firm), cut into cubes, sprinkle a little salt and fry in veg or olive oil

When it's golden brown, flip and cook the other side then remove from pan

In the same pan, add a little more oil, add the veg, salt and pepper and move it around a bit 

Once the veg has cooked a few minutes, add the tofu back and drizzle in the dressing; sesame oil, tamari, water, honey, garlic and ginger (I like to use my microplane so that you don't have chunks) - I should really bottle this stuff.

Let the veg, tofu and dressing all get acquainted and the dressing thicken

Serve with brown rice and if you didn't use all the dressing, drizzle on top of the rice, it's that good!


   


No comments: