Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Soothing Chicken Soup

My mom taught me the restorative powers of chicken soup.  She made the traditional Korean chicken soup with whole chicken, sticky rice, garlic, ginger, and red dried dates.  She would sometimes add ginseng if we were under the weather.  My mom always made this soup and with such ease, she simply put all the ingredients into a pot and let it simmer all day, I remember the dried dates bobbing in the pot.  Then a bowl of shredded chicken with rice in broth was presented with chopped scallions, salt and lots of black pepper.  I haven't made my mom's soup, I think secretly, I don't want to ruin my childhood memory of it, instead I'm making my own memories for my kids.  So, whenever I roast chicken whether whole or pieces, I am always thinking past the initial meal to the secondary soup.  I always roast chicken with skin on/bone in (the skin keeps the meat moist and the bones add flavor).  

Chopped carrot, parsley, celery, onion, and bay leaf
Add chicken breast bone and the aromatics and cover with water.  The resulting broth is amazing!
Since I will strain the aromatics, I steam carrots right on top of the soup
I cook Ditalini noodles separately and add them to the soup 


Strain the aromatics
Add to broth, the meat from the bone, steamed carrots, cooked pasta, and salt to taste.
I hope someday she will tweak it and call it her own
This is one soup that doesn't have to be pureed for his picky palette

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I love food memories! :)

I didn't grow up with chicken soup, but I make it a lot now. Love having a pot simmer all day (or making it in the slow cooker).

Great photos of the kids enjoying the soup!