Monday, January 20, 2014

The other day, my mother-in-law, after hearing that I was on a cleanse and that I wasn't eating meat, gluten, or having caffeine and alcohol, said, "well, I hope you are getting enough food to eat."  I think there's a misconception that if you are not eating meat and bread, that you must be starving, it's the contrary.  There's so much room for everything else.  And soup is the perfect vehicle to capture them.

Spiced Lentil Soup



I like these lentils because they are hearty and do not fall apart

Rinse a couple of times

Turmeric, coriander, ginger, cumin, chili powder  

Saute carrot, celery, onion, add a can of tomatoes,  add veg stock/broth, lentils,
kale and spices.  Bring to a boil, season with salt and pepper

The only bad thing about this bowl of soup is when it's gone

Black Bean Soup with Kale

Saute carrot, onion, celery, garlic, add tomato paste, add veg stock/broth, can of tomatoes,  black beans,
corn and kale, cumin and chili powder, bring to a boil and simmer.  Season with salt and pepper.

Serve with diced avocado, strips of pan "fried" corn tortilla chips, and green onions.




No comments: